WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT OF THIS PROGRAM?
The Short Study Program matches interested internationals who want to learn about American farm practices with farms that enjoy teaching. Visitors come with some basic knowledge of agriculture in general. They are often ag students completing an internship. They want to learn, and they expect to have hands-on experience while here.
Visitors have basic English skills, with a desire to improve while here. Hosts help visitors improve English through conversational English.
Hosts will give the visitors experience in all areas of the farm, with encouragement as the visitor tries and learns new skills. If desired, hosts will help visitors arrange other tourism opportunities in their area. Hosts also provide housing, food and health insurance (through the program), plus work boots (to avoid transferring disease).
WHEN CAN I START?
- Any time, with larger groups typically in the months of July & August.
- Processing time is between 2-4 weeks to find a farm, plus visa approval in-country.
- There is typically more availability in the months of June, July and August, but there are placements available throughout the year.
|Viewing basic applicant information on website||$0|
|Viewing complete applicant information||$150|
|Proof of general liability insurance for farm||required|
|Transportation (from airport to farm)||varies|
|Work boots for visitor||estimated|
APPLICATION & SCREENING
- Visitors and farms send completed application package to Global Cow.
- Visitor calls Global Cow through Skype to test English and confirm interests.
- Global Cow contacts host references, and confirms hosts’ suitability. A farm visit may also be required.
- Upon acceptance, visitors pay US$600 to Global Cow.
- Global Cow confirms with a farm their interest in hosting a specific visitor.
- Host and visitor talk about specific expectations for the visit.
VISA FOR VISITORS
- Global Cow sends program confirmation letters to the visitor.
- Visitors make their visa appointments, keeping Global Cow informed of visa date and visa results.
- Visitors book travel to closest transportation hub. Global Cow informs hosts of arrival times. Hosts pick up visitors.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE?
- Enjoy teaching someone about agriculture, and enjoy this sort of international contact.
- Provide exposure to American culture.
- Treat the visitor like a family member or an honored guest.
- Follow and enforce safe practices; utilize modern facilities and agricultural practices.
- Provide proof of general farm liability insurance.
- Commit to having the visitor on your farm for time of training (usually 2-3 months).
- Commit to honest, open communication.
- Complete an application form, including three references; agree to a farm visit.