- Enjoy teaching about modern American agriculture.
- Introduce American culture.
- Provide proof of general farm liability insurance.
- Commit to 12 months of training and good communication.
- Complete an application form, including three references.
- Agree to a farm visit.
- Speak English (tested with web cam).
- Commit to one farm for 12 months.
- Possess no criminal record.
- Be a current ag student or recent ag graduate.
- Be 20-30 years old.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Complete an application, three reference letters, CV.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
✦ Applicants and farms complete applications and documentation. Global Cow reviews and confirms interest and suitability for the program.
✦ Hosts complete a site visit; participants complete web-camera English tests.
✦ Upon acceptance, hosts and international candidates pay initial fees.
✦ Global Cow posts applicants on the website. Farms review and choose a specific applicant.
✦ Global Cow prepares all the sends program confirmation letters to the visitor. Applicants make their visa appointments, keeping Global Cow informed of visa date and visa results.
✦ Visitors book travel to closest airport, where they are met by hosts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How good must visitor’s English be? Visitors speak English, and pass an oral test by webcam.
- When can I start? Any time. Processing time is between 2-4 weeks to find a farm, plus visa approval in-country.
- Do visitors have a lot of farm background and educational background in agriculture? Visitors’ backgrounds will vary; most have limited work experience and limited dairy experience. Farms see full visitor application before accepting a specific person.
- Where do visitors come from? Mainly South America and Africa.
- Where are the host farms located? Most are in the Upper Midwest.
- Are all the farms dairy? Most are. On a limited basis, we may be able to assist with other types of agricultural experiences.
- What’s the best thing about these programs? Great international experiences!
- What’s the worst thing that can go wrong? Bad expectations. This program is for a young person who wants to learn about agriculture… and for a farmer who wants to share his enthusiasm about agriculture.
- Can visitors change farms? Changes are not encouraged, and will cost extra.
- Is there a certificate? Yes, Global Cow will provide a certificate of completion.