What visa works for dairy in the USA?

Dairy Labor Visas: What Is Out There? What Might Work?

For more than 25 years, I’ve helped American dairy farmers find reliable help on their farms. At the same time, helped provide internationals with an opportunity to learn more about American dairy farming and our culture. This has been a great experience for both sides. Both the American farmer employer and the international trainee have benefitted.

It warms my heart that probably over 1000 young people from more than 40 countries have learned about how we dairy here. They have taken that knowledge home, and many have gone on to become well-known and respected figures in their own nation’s dairy industries. Many are veterinarians providing excellent care. Some have started model farms. Some are professors who teach others what they have learned. Some work in allied-industry, selling seed corn or trading hay, importing soybean or mating cows with American semen.

I’ve done this work through the J-1 visa, and now, for the last five years or so, through just a tourist visa.

But the J-1 visa is not an ideal system, for many reasons. To me, the most important reason is that the J-1 visa is designed for learning for one year, and then going home. Just as a dairy farmer feels that his trainee employee is really understanding things, the trainee must head back to his own country.

There is a TN visa, which allows for Mexican workers to come into the USA. This is a good option, but is only for Mexico (or Canada). (Global Cow is starting to work with this visa, and establishing connections with the right universities that provide the right documentation to apply for the TN visa.)

We’ve helped a few people work with the H1-B visa. This does allow for an American employer to hire a person with a specific skill set, training and knowledge, provided the employer can’t find that person in the USA. It also allows for the employee to bring his family, and to stay on for year. The H-1B visa holder may even eventually apply for a green card.

But there is a cap on the H-1B, a limit to the amount of people who can come in. Typically, this visa candidate holds a PhD or masters’ degree, at least a bachelors’, and the job needs to require this education. Most dairy farm work requires experience and “cow knowledge”. This is not something that is necessarily learned in a college program. It is not a surprise that it’s difficult to have this visa approved for most dairy farm jobs.

The other “agricultural visa” that we all hear about does not work at all for almost all dairies: the H2-A. This one requires that you hire a seasonal worker. Conventional American dairying is just not, by definition, “seasonal”.

Because Global Cow has worked with international trainees for so long, I suppose, there are dairy farmers who call me. I hear from large dairies, little dairies, and daires in between. I hear from those in the Midwest, in the Southeast, in the West, in the South, in the Northeast. No region is immune to the same question: “What sort of employee can you help me find?” Labor is an issue for us in the dairy industry, even when we are paying well and treating employees with the respect and dignity they deserve. Dairy farmers want to hire legal help.

Of course, qualified people who would like to come into work here also call Global Cow. At least three times a week, I receive emails to “please help me find work in the dairy industry in the USA”. These folks are excited about working in an industry like ours. They want to utilize what they’ve learned, and they want to make a positive difference on an American dairy.

But, if they are not from Mexico (and even if they are from Mexico, but have not completed the right education), they can’t typically get here.

We need a different visa, one which allows people to come into the USA legally, to do honest work they love, in a good profession.

Happily, this visa, called H-2C, is proposed in a bill that is currently a part of a larger immigration issue. Although the regular press covers the “dreamers” much more heavily then the new H-2C visa, there is a very real chance that we will finally see this visa option become a reality.

If this matters to you, make sure you speak up! Reach out to your representatives and to your senators, let them know what you think. I’ve found the Vermont delegation surprisingly receptive, and interested. But it takes all of us, together, to make a difference.


23 Comments on “What visa works for dairy in the USA?

    1. Hi, Churchhill. We can help you come in as a tourist, and have a great training experience for a few months. There is no pay for this program, but the host farm gives you housing, food and transportation. You are also covered by health insurance while you are here. We suggest you try to get the tourist visa first. Then we can help you find a farm. Best wishes!

      1. Your Hello dear friend
        my name is jaber
        my age 20 year old
        am bilung to Pakistan
        I have lots of experience in this work
        please send me your country visa
        I do not have a visa of your country. Can you send me a visa I am happy to thank you.am bilung to puar faimly
        please help me

        my contact number is (03328194584)
        my email address (jaberjutt16@gmail.com)

        please contact me

  1. Hallo I am from south Africa and got a job on a dairy farm in michigan but I don’t know what to do next any help please

    1. Hi, Franco. We can’t help you find a “job”, in the USA. Our program works with a tourist visa, and it is illegal to earn money while here as a tourist.

      But, we can help you with an agricultural experience that will hopefully lead you to finding a better job in agriculture back home in South Africa.

      Please email jill@globalcow.com if you would like to talk further!

  2. I am from bangladesh.i visited so many times in usa.now again I got 5 years multiple b1/b2 visa.I am feedup of my business in my country.money make is not everything in life.so I will change and do different thing.you will make a opportunity to any farming realated job, then I obliged to you.

    1. Hi. As a B1/B2 visa holder, you can legally come into the United States only as a tourist or business visitor. As such, you are not able to earn any money while here. Global Cow could help you find an agricultural experience for a month or two, so that you could learn about agriculture here in the USA. However, it is not employment, nor a “job”. Best wishes to you.

  3. Hi, Franco. As we note in the discussion above, it’s really nearly impossible to get a work visa at this time. The only way might be an H1B visa, but this is 1) hard to have approved for agriculture…2) requires thousands of dollars to process, with no guarantee that you will be approved… 3) is already in such high demand that typically everyone has to go through a lottery system… and 4) can typically only be processed for April 1st documentation submission, with an arrival only in early October (should the visa be approved).

    We are hopeful that laws will change under immigration reform currently being discussed in the US House and Senate, and by our current president, President Trump.

  4. Hi,
    I have a valid b1/b2 visa .I have visited USA in 2014/2017.I am interested in gaining experience in dairy field.
    My mom and I run a small poultry farm but we ran into a loss last year December .
    I would like to be trained and have advanced experience.
    Please can you assist me to be placed in a dairy farm?
    I am a licensed registered nurse and psychiatric nurse in Nigeria but also run a small poultry and garden with my mom.
    I was the president of farmers club ,while in High school .I really want to have my own farm and make it big and profitable.
    Currently I am working in my mom’s poultry as an employee.

    1. Hi, Odetola Joy. If you already have the visa, I would be happy to help you find an agricultural experience in the USA. I will send you an email directly and we can discuss this further. Thanks!

  5. Hi,
    Can I get an agricultural experience?
    I attended a conference on dairy product and I have been interested in it.
    I have a valid b1/b2 visa.

  6. Hi I’m Asher currently working in nz as a dairy farm assistant nearly 2 years. Have done NZQA level 3 for dairy farm. How can I come to us for work

    1. Sorry, there is really no visa that is currently available for getting into the country to work on dairy farms, no matter the experience.

  7. Hi i am cow milker I am total work experience Dairy farm my work experience 5 year itely room Dairy farm and this time my dream job Dairy farm USA so any body hilp me sposer work visa USA dairy farm contact me my Gmail any questions and my work experience

  8. Hi I got 11 years experience in dairy industry in NZ I am looking for a job in the US what could possibly the best visa do I need to apply. cheers

    1. Hello. The H-1B visa can work, but you need to have an employer in the USA. It is also a very difficult visa, with a low percentage granted for agricultural purposes.

    1. Hi. From what I’ve heard from others, it has not typically worked. I have not personally worked with it, and can’t speak to this specifically.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *