AustraliaThe Land Down Under
We have three partners in Australia, all of whom specialize in opportunities in agriculture for young people up to age 35.
In general, there are very specific countries that can go to Australia on these programs: Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmakr, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Latvia, Luxembourg, Moldova, Nambia, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, South Africa, Sweden, Uruguay, Ukraine, USA and the United Kingdom.
If you are from a different country–and you have a tourist visa–there are volunteer opportunities. These are without pay, but cover housing and food. This may be good way to make contacts for longer stays (although it is not guaranteed).
- English competency.
- Ages 18-35.
- Have a domestic driver’s license for at least a year, international driver’s permit.
- Experience in the field you apply for.
- Degree in agriculture.
- Mature, flexible, open-minded, committed.
- Willing to work long hours during certain peak times.
- Placement length varies, and are arranged after acceptance into the program.
- Each placement timing depends on the farm’s preferences.
- Longer stays (more than 6 months) are generally easier to find, especially if you are not a native speaker.
- Stays longer than 6 months greatly decrease the tax rate deducted from your pay.
It takes at least 4-6 months to process the papers. It is best to plan for more time, and to be ready in advance.
Each program is different, but the overall benefits are the opportunities to travel and earn something while you are abroad. Global Cow strongly urges everyone to look at these types of programs as wonderful training experiences, and a way to see the world while learning more about agriculture.
PLACEMENT TYPES OFFERED
Agriculture: broad-acre dry land crops (wheat, barley, canola, lupins, oats or peas); some irrigated cropping
Horticulture: nursery, cut flowers, fruit orchard, vegetables, tropical fruit
Animal agriculture: dairy; sheep; pigs; beef
Agri-home: working inside the home and outside on the farm.
Equine: breeding studs and station placements.
Apiary: queen bee and honey production.
Plan on about four to six months from the time of contacting Global Cow until the time you would arrive in Australia.
- Complete initial interest form and return to Global Cow.
- Have initial interview with Global Cow via Skype or What’s App.
- Upon acceptance, pay initial fees to Global Cow. (Repeat Global Cow participants pay discounted rate.)
- Placement process begins.
- Upon placement confirmation, pay Australia program fees directly to Australia program.
- Prepare to travel!